Goal 2: Randomised trials to improve health of mothers and babies
To promote the design, registration, completion, dissemination of investigator-led RCTs that address priority questions in maternal perinatal health.
- Identify priority questions requiring RCTs in maternal and perinatal care through consultation with all relevant stakeholders; and updated Cochrane systematic reviews.
- Provide IMPACT Network endorsement for multicentre RCTs that:
- Address an IMPACT Network priority question or a research question arising from a systematic review
- Are conducted according to SPIRIT guidelines – available at http://www.spirit-statement.org/publications-downloads
- Demonstrate feasibility (can be completed in a timely manner)
- Are presented to the IMPACT Network both in the early stages of development and in the finalising the protocol phase.
- Promote accreditation of “Research Friendly” hospitals for those institutions that provide infrastructure to support recruitment into trials, regularly report the proportion of eligible participants recruited into trials, and are actively involved in recruitment to IMPACT Network endorsed multicentre trials.
- Provide regular educational workshops in trial design and conduct.
- Maintain a register of recommended support services for trials and individuals with RCT expertise.
- Facilitate efficient and effective conduct of RCTs by
- stimulating use of similar case record forms, standardised outcomes, data management systems and analytic capacity
- encouraging collaboration of research midwives, nurses and co-ordinators involved in recruitment and day to day conduct of trial
- providing a bi-national infrastructure of communication that monitors recruitment and regional harmonisation of recruitment capabilities.
- Provide forums for discussion, communication and collaboration between consumers and investigators across all disciplines to plan, recruit and disseminate information about trials in maternal perinatal care.
- Promote effective dissemination and translation into practice of IMPACT Network trial findings, regardless of results (positive, negative or inconclusive) with timely presentation at national and international meetings and publications.
- Develop and enhance systems for the optimal conduct of multicentre trials in collaboration with ACTA